“Today, not starting is far, far worse than being wrong. If you start, you’ve got a shot at evolving and adjusting to turn your wrong into a right. But if you don’t start, you never get a chance.” -Seth Godin
Here’s some thoughts I wrote out spontaneously this morning when I sent out this quote in my thought-of-the-day email (which I send out every day, and plan to keep doing until I’m 100 years old):
“For me, I’ve been procrastinating 20 different things. Here’s a few:
1) Selling something. Like someone else’s product; problem is, I can’t seem to find anything you guys might like. Maybe I ought to ask.
2) Creating my own ebook or course to sell. Really, nothing is going to happen with my online life until I start 1 or 2.
3) A podcast. Maybe I can use Anchor (it’s a very easy to use app) while I learn the ropes? Funny; I DID actually start one about 10 years ago. If you search for me under “quotes” in iTunes or other directories, you’ll find the 2 or 3 episodes I put out. But why start one? Because people all say their online platform completely changed when they started one. Apparently the engagement & “know-like-trust” factor is higher on a podcast than anything else. More than Live video? lol
4) My 2 or 3 new blogs. Yes, yes; a man who chases 2 rabbits catches neither. But I’m close. I also need guest posters. (my new blog is motivational.net; it’s UP per se, but not much is there. But you should always launch before you’re ready, and all it would take is 30 minutes of writing…or a few email conversations, and I can get anyone’s guest post up on the blog. You gotta start somewhere, right? And why do I not really blog HERE on HappyPublishing.com anymore? Mainly because the name doesn’t fit; I just kept things going here because I started it in 1998, it had “age” on its side, and I used to have a TON of traffic! I used to be at 80,000 on Alexa, which is incredible [currently at 500k]. The new blog sort of signifies a new beginning, and a chance to grow into something new, and segment. I also have another blog starting up soon on my coaching/consulting domain. I’ll tell you more about that another day. If you want to blog for me, hit me up on the Live any day going forward, or look for my email address over on motivational.net)
5) Get my FB consulting site/webinar/offering/practice off the ground. I’ve been working on this for 6 months, and really need to get it going. A lot of the ground work is already done. I’m close.
6) Re-starting my daily Live videos on FB. I’ve been feeling very strongly that I NEED to start doing them again, and this time, commit to doing them daily for a very long period of time. And have a structured format to stick to where I share real information, and have less long-winded conversations with people about where they’re from, etc. And interview people several times per week, again with a format & prepared questions. And add custom thumbnail pics every day along with the title/topic. And schedule them as an Event so that people can sign up & get reminders.
Question: should I also do them simultaneously on Twitter/Periscope and IG? Should I record the audio and put these out as a podcast? Should I do those separately? Where would I find the time? Should I keep the broadcasts down to 10 minutes when I have no guest? Is there anything wrong with a 1 minute Live vid?
BTW, just another thought on Lives: when I did the 30-day experiment in the summer, I was getting 10k to 20k views of my daily Lives, and that’s by putting them out randomly during the day. Imagine if I did 90% of them at the same time each day, and sent out an Event with a reminder…along with a chat-bot reminder? After 2-3 months, I’m sure I could average 20k views per day. That’s 600k views per month. Not huge in terms of a Youtube video, but that’s huge in terms of “podcast downloads”.
SO THERE’S SOME OF MY RAMBLING THOUGHTS. I’m sure most of you could write something similar regarding your current projects.
NOW go re-read today’s quote, and see how it applies to my or your long list of projects.
When I do, it pushes me to commit to starting my Lives again…today. Ok, I’ll do it. Ooh boy, that scares me. Watch the FB page for the announcement and start time. (!!!)”
Whew! Live broadcast is at 9pm EST tonight!